|Linux, FreeBSD, Juniper, Cisco / Network security articles and troubleshooting guides
|IP Subnetting Raneg Assigning...?
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||TryllZ [ Tue May 31, 2016 12:02 pm ]|
|Post subject:||IP Subnetting Raneg Assigning...?|
I'm a bit confused about assigning IP address from IP Ranges.
I am using this scenario below to understand.
Adatum.com an international IT solutions company, is launching 12 new branches in a new country where they currently have no existing branches. The sWin CIO has asked that each subnet should host at least 1000 devices.
sWin has obtained a network address of 192.168.0.0/18. This address needs to be subnetted further. The internal subnet mask will be /22
The company’s subnet plan allows for:
- Router Pool: 2 router interfaces for each subnet – the first 2 IP addresses from each subnet.
- Managed Network Device Pool: The first 20 IP addresses that follow the Router Pool are reserved for switches and other network devices
- Server Pool: The first 20 IP addresses following the Managed Network Device Pool are reserved for servers.
- Workstation Static Pool: The first 10 IP addresses following the Server Pool are reserved for Workstations that require static IP addresses.
- Workstation DHCP Pool: The remaining IP addresses are reserved for automatic IP configuration
You have been asked to use subnet 9 for your device addressing.
Configure the first IP address from the Server Pool to Lon-DC1.
Configure the first IP address from the Workstation Static Pool to sWinPC1.
Configure the first IP address from the Router Pool to be the default gateway.
So I have the IP address range as such:
192.168.0.0 is the Network ID and 192.168.3.255 is the Broadcast address.
Now can some one explain me how the IP ranges will be assigned having found the IP ranges as such, I understand that since the last borrowed bit is place holder of 4 the IP ranges will also be in 4, for example 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.3, which means that if I use the 9th subnet the IP Range is 126.96.36.199 - 192.168.0.35, however my teacher has explained me (which I did not understand for some reason) in a way that IP range 9th subnet will be 192.168.32.1 etc.
I'm confused as to when to use my method for IP ranges and when to use my teachers.
Please, Thank You
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]|
|Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group