Linux, FreeBSD, Juniper, Cisco / Network security articles and troubleshooting guides

FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:01 am

Ftp, sftp, scp, rsync and other data transfer daemons.

debuser
Post  Post subject: How to disable anonymous access in samba 3  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm

How to disable anonymous access in samba 3

By default, samba on debian allows anonymous limited access (user doesn't provide a password can see public shares).

man samba:
Quote:
restrict anonymous (G)

The setting of this parameter determines whether user and group list information is returned for an anonymous connection. and mirrors the effects of the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Control\LSA\RestrictAnonymous

registry key in Windows 2000 and Windows NT. When set to 0, user and group list information is returned to anyone who asks. When set to 1, only an authenticated user can retrive user and group list information. For the value 2, supported by Windows 2000/XP and Samba, no anonymous connections are allowed at all. This can break third party and Microsoft applications which expect to be allowed to perform operations anonymously.

The security advantage of using restrict anonymous = 1 is dubious, as user and group list information can be obtained using other means.

To disable anonymous access, set the above option to "2" in smb.conf file:
Code:
restrict anonymous = 2

Harespok
Post  Post subject: Re: How to disable anonymous access in samba 3  |  Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:43 am
In the file server, I run, I use samba to access my files comfortably. I like Samba. I can mount on any machine to run and access my files as it would any other file system, but when it comes to sharing files with other (anonymous), Samba has to face some ugly legacy Windows. After all, Samba is an open source implementation of SMB / CIFS Windows called "file sharing of Windows." Let's look at the differences and how to address them.

E-mail friendPrint view